Królewskie Miasto

WAŻNE: Maja Popielarska w Kowalu « » Piknik Strażacki AD 2014 za nami « » Ukazał się 39 numer Informatora KowalskiegoTrwa remont auli szkolnej Akcja "Krew z Kowala, żyć pozwala" – mamy nowy rekord Miasta!

Kowal is a small town situated in the centre of Poland. To the north-east of Kowal there is a beautiful cluster of forests and lakes known as Gostynińsko-Włocławski Landscape Park. The town occupies an area of 4,7 square kilometres and the number of its inhabitants is estimated at around 3,500. Kowal`s location is definitely advantageous in terms of communication routes. It is situated directly beside the Kowal by-pass, along the E-75 international road (national road no 1) as well as 3 kilometres from the A1 motorway and combined with its own junction located 3 kilometres south of Kowal`s town boundaries. 32 kilometres south of Kowal there is an intersection of national roads  no 1 and 2. Further south, approximately 15 kilometres, the A1 motorway intersects with the A2 motorway. 

            The town takes great pride in its history. In 1310 King Casimir III was born in Kowal. He was the only Polish monarch to be nicknamed `Great` for his outstanding achievements in developing the country. The statue of him, which was funded by Kowal`s citizens, is the landmark of the town. Throughout the ages Kowal was an established administrative and judicial authority centre. Unfortunately, the town was severely damaged during the Swedish invasion in the XVII century. At the end of the XVIII century, the castle in Kowal was pulled down and the town was deprived of its town privilages in 1870. They were restored in 1919.

             Until the outbreak of the Second World War, Kowal was the centre for commerce and craftsmanship. In the 1930s the number of Kowal`s inhabitants, consisting of people of Polish, Jewish and German descent, increased to approximately 5000. The vast majority of Jews who lived in Kowal fell victims to the Holocaust. Out of approximately 1500 of them only 13 survived the displacement to ghettos and concentration camps. 

            After the communist rule had fallen, Kowal became a centre for services and commerce to nearby villages and settlements. Throughout the last two decades, the town has been greatly modernised. It now has a fully functioning sewage system built from the ground up and combined with a water treatment plant. All streets have been modernised and their number has increased from 31 to 48.  The number of houses in Kowal has also risen by circa 30 per cent, which is in large part due to many new inhabitants who decided to settle down here. In comparison with other Polish towns, Kowal sets itself apart through great emphasis that its authorities put on making it a green, clean and safe place to live in. The following public places and institutions can be found in Kowal: a kindergarten, a primary school, a middle school, a secondary school, an agricultural school, three health centres, an emergency rescue outpost and the Social Aid Home for people who suffer from sclerosis multiplex (SM).

            Additionally, there is a bank in Kowal,  metal industry manufacture, carpenter workshops and a large firm producing window-panes. A police station, public roadworks, telecommunications and energy-related service providers are also to be found in Kowal. The town itself is open and welcoming to new inhabitants and investors.

Kamery On-line

Newsletter
Twój adres email:
 Zapisz |  Wypisz
 

Nasi partnerzy

   

Wszelkie prawa zastrzeżone dla Kowal.eu (C) 2013 ul. Piwna 24, 87-820 Kowal
tel. 054-2841-255, fax. 054-2842-231
e-mail: kowal@kowal.eu